"He's gonna cheat on her... poor girl. But her make up is cute."
"Actual FACT: fat gals can't keep their men from cheating..."
**All of the aforementioned quotes are directly from the original post on Facebook**
Wow. Whoever came up with the phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me..." was a liar. This is probably one of the greatest lies of all time. At first the pic was a huge shocker because it's rare that you see such confidence. However, as I read through the comments on this photo, I shed tears. It was so disgusting to see that people are still so shallow. I thought that picking on heavy women was a phase that you go through when you're a kid in school. I was sadly mistaken. These comments are from grown men and women. Wow. I continued to read the comments and I put myself in this young lady's denim chucks.. and I cried! I cried because...
- I, too, am an overweight woman.
- I, too, know that there are those shallow-minded people who didn't believe I could keep a man because of my weight.
- I, too, was in relationships where I and my ex-boyfriends would be criticized because I was fat and he was in shape.
- I cried because I remember how NONE of my exes were man enough to defend me... Instead, the relationship ended because they could no longer stand the "embarrassment."
The photo of the young man holding up his new fiancee' speaks volumes. Many times, no matter how loudly you're speaking, some people choose not to hear you. He was speaking so clearly in this photo, but not many chose to hear his heart. Nevertheless, I would like to take a few minutes to share my interpretation - from a big girl's perspective.
- "Be exactly who you are - that's who I fell in love with." - Check out the cuteness in this outfit!!! Hot Pink Short, Bubble Skirt, Fashionable Denim Top, and Denim Chucks with Pink Shoe Strings! I love it!!! You better believe that some shallow skinny woman / man is wondering why she wore that. My question is, what does it matter? Clothes aren't limited to skinny people. Get over yourselves. LOL! Quite frankly, she doesn't appear to care what anyone else thinks. Why? Because her man loves her just the way she is - thick legs, thighs, and all! I love that she didn't allow her weight to force her to wear tablecloths for a photoshoot. Truth is, many of us big girls tend to want to find outfits that will "hide" our extra body. This photo is such phenomenal evidence of freedom! Why be in a relationship where you have to walk on eggshells to keep your "man" from seeing the parts of you that you hate the most? Doing so could only be an indication of fear - not freedom! She's blessed and free - there's nothing that she is ashamed of.
- "I will love my future wife just as Christ loved the church." - The strain of obesity can be paralyzing. Trust me!!! Insecurity really binds. It becomes hard for women to let go and let love. The walls of past hurt, shame, guilt, self-hate, fear, and so much more makes it nearly impossible for her to allow any man to have access to her heart; let alone a man who is in shape. But when you have a man who commits to love the way that Christ loves, that wall will come crumbling down. The evidence of this is the fact that she's 1000% comfortable with no longer relying on her own strength. To trust him to carry her and all of her weight (not just physical, but emotional) is proof that the walls have totally and completely come down!
Christ bore the weight of the world on His very shoulders. He did this because He LOVED the World so much! He knew that it wouldn't be easy to bear - but His love for us outweighed all of our sinful weight. Fast forward to May 31, 2016 when this gentleman posted this beautiful picture. He displayed to the world that no matter how heavy the weight... He would bear it. Am I talking about her physical weight alone? No. I'm talking about the emotional distress that comes with being overweight. I'm talking about the fear of being rejected for a woman with a better body. I'm talking about insecurity! He bore so much more than her physical body in this photo. Imagine this - this young man even bore persecution from people who don't know a thing about their love. He was made out to be a cheater. A dog. A man who doesn't love for real and is only stringing her along. Persecution from people who don't even know him, let alone the details of their relationship. Amazing! Sir, you're the real MVP.
I salute this young lady because I know that it took a lot to reach a point of allowing herself to be loved. It's not easy to do. Sometimes you want so badly to just let him love you but you can't because there are wounds in the way. But once they are out of the way, loving and being loved never felt so good. I can look back and thank every guy who let me go in order to protect his image, because I realize that without that process, I wouldn't have my husband - who is the epitome of a real man. I can truly say that he loves me just as Christ loved the church.
My prayers go out to this beautiful couple. Stand strong and stay true to one another despite the persecution and slander. You all are a beautiful example and I wish you God's best in your marriage.